Getting unblocked from the Firewall (blank screen / timeout / 403 error)
Smart Client Area >> Services panel - 'View and access your services' >> Select hosting package and click it to enter product details page
If you are just seeing a blank screen or getting a timeout/forbidden (403) error your IP address may be blocked by the firewall.
Whether you are a standard hosting customer or a reseller the process to check whether you (or a client) is blocked by the firewall, and get unblocked, is the same.
1. Log into your Smart Hosting Account
2. Click 'View and access your services' from the Services panel
3. Click your Hosting/Reseller Hosting package to enter the package details page.
Here you will see a Firewall Status section:
If it is your IP that is blocked the system will now automatically unblock you - you will see a message explaining why you were blocked to help with troubleshooting.Resellers - How to check a clients IP
If you are a reseller you can also check your clients IP address here - you will need them to provide their external/public IP address - they can obtain this by either by visiting whatsmyip.org
or typing 'whats my ip' into Google
Simply type their IP address in the 'Check other IP' box and click 'Check'. Again, if their IP is blocked it will automatically be unblocked and you will see an explanatory message as to why the IP was blocked.
If you have more than one reseller hosting package on different servers - ensure you check the one containing the client site.
About our IP address blocking policies
In order to protect our service from abuse, the following events will lead to your IP address being blocked. Usually this is only temporary (usually 20 minutes), but it may become permanent if you are temporarily blocked more than 3 times within a 24hr period. Common reasons for your IP address becoming blocked include (in order of popularity):
- Using an incorrect username/password combination into cPanel more than 5 times in a few minutes.
- Using an incorrect email address/password more than 5 times in a few minutes into webmail. If you have misconfigured Outlook, Mail or other email software on your PC or Mobile device to automatically fetch email using the wrong email address/password combination, this will also cause your IP address to be blocked.
- Using an incorrect username/password more than 5 times in a few minutes into a password protected web page.
- Collecting POP3 email more than 90 times in an hour (from a specific IP address from a specific mailbox).
- Accessing a page using URL parameters that have been blocked by Mod Security more than 5 times in a few minutes.
Note for web developers: If you have just added new scripts/modules to your website it is also possible that mod_security might be triggered. While this is rare, if you experience a series of 403 forbidden errors, and then find yourself unable to connect, then it is likely that mod_security has logged security events which have lead to your IP being blocked temporarily.
In this event, please contact us giving full details of the URL you were using, the time of the events and your public IP address (available from http://viewmyip.co.uk). We will then analyse the mod security logs and find out what rules were triggered, if any.